Lucian Merritt, Jr. Lucian Merritt Wright, Jr. was born in 26 June 1854 at Lake Geneva, Walworth County, Wisconsin (1), the fourth child of Lucian Merritt and Lucy Ann Farnsworth Wright. He was born between the time that his father returned from his 49er expedition to California and the family moved west in 1859. Lucian, Jr. was a boy of 5 at the time of this journey (2) and grew up in the Mattole Valley at his family's farm north of Petrolia. Lucian married Alice May Smith, the daughter of William Dayton and Mary Ellen Johnston Smith at Petrolia on 15 October 1882. Together they ranched and raised eleven children in the Mattole:
- Georgia May Wright born 14 October 1883 at Petrolia (married George Smith)
- Lucy Ellen Wright born 18 March 1885 at Petrolia (married Orson Newton "Budd" Dudley)
- Otto Lucian Wright born 15 July 1887 at Petrolia (married Bessie Elinore Stanley)
- Kathrine Alice Wright born 31 May 1889 at Petrolia (married 1st Walter Reuben Hunter, was widowed, and married 2nd Dwight Adams)
- Addie Sonoma Wright born 29 August 1891 at Petrolia (married Norman Eugene Vredenburg)
- Anna Vernetta Wright born 18 February 1894 at Petrolia (married Reed Pomeroy Cook)
- Lola Lovene Wright born 31 March 1895 at Petrolia (married Richard Williams)
- Son Wright* born May 1896 at Petrolia (died at 18 months)
- Hazel Idella Wright born May 1897 at Petrolia (married Emmett Louis Tighe)
- Viola Consuella Wright born 15 August 1898 in California (married Walter T. Watson)
- Dayton Hiram Wright born 8 November 1900 at Petrolia (married Jennie E. Turner)
- Mildred Myrtle Wright born 27 July 1902 at Petrolia (married 1st Milton Tufts, married 2nd a man by the name of Angeli)
In 1920, when their children were adults, Lucian and Alice were enumerated on separate censuses: Lucian living with some of the children in the Mattole (3) and Alice living in Eureka with some of the other children(4). By 1930 they were living under one roof again, at 3461 Pine Street in Eureka with four of their daughters: Addie, Viola, divorced daughter Lola Williams with her daughter Alice, and married daughter Mildred Tufts with her husband Milton and their children Garth and Pauline (5).
In 1942 Lucian fell, and fracturing his hip, was bedridden from then until his death on 4 May 1943. He would have been 90 on the 26th of that month. At the time of his death he had 14 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.
Alice May Smith Wright died on 15 June 1961 and is buried at Ocean View Cemetery in Eureka (6).
*Buried at Petrolia Pioneer Cemetery
I wish to emphasize that the information I publish on this blog is to the best of my knowledge. I do my best to research my subjects as deeply as possible and provide sources as they are available. When misinformation (or, as in the case of some of the sons-in-law of Lucian, the lack of information) is discovered, I welcome corrections and supplemental information. Please feel free to contact me via the comment utility: I will respond with a personal email.
- Ferndale Enterprise 7 May 1943 "Lucian Wright Funeral Today"
- The Journal of Rosina M. Wright Johnson, 1930 (courtesy Mattole Valley Historical Society)
- 1920 United States Federal Census (26 January) Mattole Township, Humboldt, California: Village of Petrolia
- 1920 United States Federal Census (17 January) Eureka, Humboldt California: 3442 Little California Street
- 1930 United States Federal Census (16 April ) Eureka, Humboldt, California: 3461 Pine Street
- Eureka Humboldt Standard 16 June 1961 "Mrs Alice May Wright"
Photographs courtesy from the collection of the Mattole Valley Historical Society